Tech and data jam. Ending period poverty.
Calling all current and future web developers / web designers / UX designers / data scientists...
Help us use digital and data to help Bristol eradicate Period Poverty.
Bristol City Office, Bristol City Councils Sustainability and Innovation team and One City Partners from across the city are collaborating to host a unique event.
On Saturday 28 and Sunday 29 September we will work together to create a digital solution in support of the Period Friendly Initiative.
The ‘App’ will let those who are in need of sanitary products know where to pick them up, and those who want to/are able to donate know where they can deliver products to.
A team of experts will be leading the development process, facilitate learning and support people to get involved. Through the weekend we will organise into task based development groups covering:
- Front end
- UI and UX
- Data science
- Testing and deployment
This is a great way to share and develop your skills as well as build your portfolio.
All participants will be offered a certificate of attendance, and a number of prizes and awards will be issued, including two awards of circa £1.5k for ongoing development.
Food and refreshments will be provided throughout the weekend.
Please get in touch if you have any accessibility needs and we will do our best to accommodate.
Running order as follows:
- 9-9.30 > Light breakfast on arrival
- 9.30 > Opening presentation: Councillor Godwin, inc One City and Strategic goals
- 9.45 > Overview of how the weekend will function
- 9.50 > Period Friendly Bristol: Understanding what is needed
- 10.05 > Second topical in depth presentation
- 10.20 > Collaborative work process explained in more depth
- 10.25 > Whole group introductions
- 10.40 > Task group leads describe key activities with time for questions from groups
- 11.25 > Tea break
- 11.45 > Task groups convene and spend 1 hour on clarifying subset tasks and completing planning documentation template *provided
- 12.45 > Whole group group check-ins from task groups
- 1-2 > Lunch
- 2-4.30 > Facilitated task based work
- 4.30 > Reconvening whole group
- 9.30-10 > Light breakfast provided
- 10> Outline of state of dev from each task group focaliser
- 10.15 >Project task team scrums
- 10.15-2>Task groups continue work (With key needs / offers facilitated shout outs roughly every couple of hours) - with lunch and refreshments available for people to have when suits
- 2-2.30 > 10 min Task group presentations with 5 mins for questions
- 2.30-4 > User testing and debugging and next steps planning / documentation
- 4 >Closing presentation with participants invited to share key learnings; prize awarding
- 4.30 > close
Feel free to get in touch to discuss further.