Grants for Small Organisations Making Good Use of Volunteers (UK)
The Woodward Charitable Trust primarily funds charitable organisations (charities, social enterprises and community interest companies) in the UK and can make grants for overseas projects usually via UK charities. Priority is given to projects make good use of volunteers, encourage past and current users to participate, ensure that funds awarded are being well used and fall within the following areas:
• Children / young people who are isolated, at risk of exclusion or involved in antisocial behaviour.
• Prisoners and ex-offenders and prisoners’ families.
• Disadvantaged women, covering refuges, domestic violence and parenting.
• Disability projects, including rehabilitation and training
• Arts outreach work by local groups involving disadvantaged people.
Projects that promote integration and community cohesion amongst minority groups, including refugees and travelers.
Three types of grant are awarded following bi-annual meetings in February and October:
• Small grants of £500 - £5,000
• Large grants over £5,000 – these are usually given to charities known by the Trustees
• Children’s summer play scheme grants of £200 to £1,000 for which the applicant charities annual income must be under £100,000.
Preference is given to small to medium-sized charities with an income of less than £300,000 where small grants can have more impact. Most grants made are for one-off projects although some grants fund salaries and running costs.
Grants awarded in 2017 included:
• Futures Theatre Company, £1,000 for a touring production across schools in London to engage young people to challenge issues relating to peer pressure and coercion
• Training and Learning Company, £2,000 to establish a multi ethnic lunch club for disadvantaged BME people in Dorset
• Henry Dancer Days, £500 for a story telling project to distract children undergoing cancer treatment in Durham.
The deadline for receipt of applications for the October meeting is 31 July 2018.
For more information, please click here: http://woodwardcharitabletrust.org.uk/portfolio/diary_page/