Sight Support West run community hubs in various locations across Bristol, BANES, and South Gloucestershire, where one of our Sight Loss Advisors is available to provide information, advice, and guidance to people living with sight loss and their friends/families.
We are looking for friendly, outgoing individuals to facilitate our social groups that run alongside these community hubs , whether this be supporting existing groups or helping to set up new ones. These groups are a place where blind and partially sighted people can enjoy each other’s company, share experiences and information, and provide encouragement to each other.
We are looking for volunteers to support several hubs across the region but are in most urgent need of support at our fortnightly group in Bedminster that runs on a Friday morning.
What you will be doing?
- Supporting and facilitating social activities in your local area for blind and partially sighted people. These could be “Coffee and Convo” mornings, activity sessions or sporting events, depending on your own interests and availability
- Raising awareness amongst the local community of the opportunities available to them locally
What skills and experience are needed?
- Good communication skills
- Friendly and approachable
- Punctual and reliable
- Able to work with a diverse range of people
- An understanding of issues affecting blind and partially sighted people
What will you gain from the role?
- The knowledge that you are making a positive difference to the lives of people living with sight loss
- Experience of working with a variety of people
- Making meaningful connections with others
- A greater understanding of sight loss
- Useful facilitation skills
What support will be given?
- Understanding Sight Loss Training
- Reasonable out-of-pocket Expenses
- Supervision and support from the Volunteer Coordinator
- Additional training as appropriate
When will you be needed?
Times and dates vary depending on location.
How often will you be needed?
Variable, depending on the frequency of the group meetings
Two references required. These can be from anyone you have known for 2 years or over, who is not a family member or a member of your household.
Disclosure and Barring Service Information
This role requires a DBS (Disclosure and Barring Service) check
For further information and to apply, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call Becs on 07849 833 047. Alternatively, you can complete the application form below. A role description is also attached.