Could you help make a difference to the lives of children in North Somerset?
We need your finance and accounting skills to support us in running Home-Start North Somerset, the leading family support charity. We're there for parents when they need us most. Our volunteers offer free, confidential support, friendship and practical help to parents struggling through challenging times, whether through depression, anxiety, isolation, disability, bereavement, illness or just feeling overwhelmed.
You will be helping set our strategic direction, as well as leading the financial oversight of the charity, including
- oversight of bookkeeping
- ensuring that staff are paid appropriately
- budgeting and forecasting annual spend
- provision of financial reporting to the board of trustees
- ensuring that applicable taxes are paid appropriately
- supporting fundraising activities including preparing budgets for grant applications.
We are looking for the following skills:
- demonstrable experience of financial management
- competent use of IT skills and ability to produce reports as necessary
- proven ability to communicate and explain financial information to stakeholders who do not have a financial background
- an interest in the organisation's cause and objectives
- qualified accountant with demonstrated legal awareness and knowledge
- knowledge and experience of charity fundraising and finance practices
- willing to act as the charity's ambassador to external bodies, funders and companies
-We are a small group of Trustees and welcome help across any of our activities, meeting volunteers, fundraising events, attending staff meetings. This is not essential but will probably enhance the enjoyment of the role.
You will join a small, committed Board of Trustees with considerable management and social care experience. Our administrator will do most of the bookkeeping work with your oversight as necessary. Ideally a candidate would have an interest or experience in small charity work, parenting, family support and/or children under 5, but we welcome those with transferable skills gained in another sector. Our current trustees come from a variety of backgrounds, but all have in common a passion for making a positive difference to local families’ lives. We would prefer someone with knowledge of North Somerset and preferably living within easy reach of the area.
To find out more about us please visit our website, https://home-startnorthsomerset.org.uk
Please contact our Chair, Dali Sidebottom on firstname.lastname@example.org in the first instance. Candidates will initially have an informal chat with a current trustee.