The Forest of Avon Trust is the West of England’s Community Forest, an independent charity and one of a national network of England’s Community Forests. We are growing our work and impact through implementing the Forest of Avon Plan, delivering a multi-million pound tree planting programme ‘Trees for Climate’ as well as delivering many other projects in woodland management, creation, skills, health and wellbeing.
Two-year fixed term contract. The intention is that the contract will be annually renewable and then made permanent, subject to funding.
• Minimum 20 hours per week
• Flexible working hours and days
• Office base in Lockleaze, Bristol with some home working optional after an initial period in the role
• Salary band £40,000-45,000 per annum pro rata with annual review
• Employee Pension Scheme
• Opportunity to play a key role in a growing charity with a multi-million pound annual turnover.
You will be responsible for the financial management of the charity to include a £1.5 mn per annum grant programme as well as land acquisition projects and large funding bids. There is an opportunity to feed into the strategic direction of the charity and other work. This work will be supported by an Administrator role and the wider team.
• Preparing annual Accounts
• Working with our Auditors to complete the annual Audit
• Monthly and Quarterly reporting, budget setting and projections
• Reporting into Board meetings and working with the Executive Director and Trustees to drive and expand the financial direction and capacity of the charity
• Maintaining and developing the financial and administrative components of the Trust’s Trees for Climate £1.5 mn per annum grant scheme and all other grants and funding awarded to the charity, including recording of grant agreement figures, claims processing and end of year reconciliation and reporting
• Where relevant, attending England’s Community Forest Director meetings to input into the financial and related elements of the Trees for Climate programme
• All regulatory work of the charity
• Developing and expanding charity policy and governance
• GDPR – yearly audits, review and monitoring and directing to the team on this work
• Maintaining effective and accurate financial systems together with the team’s administrative support, including the timely production, inputting and processing of orders, invoices, payroll and payments. Addressing gift aid claims, VAT issues and managing restricted funds
• Management of all contracts
• Working with the Executive Director on legal, HR and other work
• Gift aid claims and donor management
• The opportunity to support work on large funding bids, national/regional data gathering and to influence wider policy relating to funds for trees and woodlands
• Deputising for the Executive Director where required
Essential Criteria – evidenced with experience and skills
• Qualified accountant – with ACMA, CIMA or ACCA
• Finance Manager / Director experience
• Strong administration skills and ability to organise work and coordinate multiple tasks with a clear plan and approach
• Ability to support the management of grant funding both as grant provider and grant recipient.
• Ability to support the management of substantial funding budgets, comprising diverse funding streams and donor and sponsor relationships
• Ability to use Excel or an equivalent programme to clearly present budgets and financial and project management information to staff and Board members
• Ability to use Xero or another financial management system to process and record financial transactions and to generate and track orders and invoices and ensure their timely payment and to generate financial reports, including for annual accounts and audits
• Ability to use own initiative, improve systems and work proactively to support the team
• Accuracy and attention to detail
• A professional manner in representing the charity and its work
• A commitment to the Forest of Avon Trust’s goals and values
• Access to a vehicle or the ability to travel to the office and to meetings and other commitments in the West of England
• Experience of a financial/administrative role within a charity and/or experience of related charity policy and best practice
• Experience of audits
• Good knowledge of grant scheme conditions and reporting requirements
• Experience of reporting to a Board of Directors of Trustees
• Experience of gift aid regulations and practices, GDPR compliance, VAT issues and managing restricted funds
• Experience of administering staff payroll
A Disclosure and Barring Service check may be required for this role.
We encourage applications from diverse backgrounds, in particular candidates from communities and catchments in which The Forest of Avon Trust is engaged. We are pleased to be an equal opportunity employer and applications will be considered without regard to race, colour, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, veteran status or age. The Forest of Avon Trust is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of vulnerable people and expects all members of staff to share this commitment.
Please send a CV and a written statement of your experience addressing the essential and desirable criteria above to email@example.com by 2pm on Thursday 16th February 2023.
Applications will be anonymised prior to shortlisting.
For more information on the Forest of Avon Trust, please go to: www.forestofavontrust.org
For more information about the role, please call Alex Stone, Forest of Avon Trust Director, on 07375 842732.