Bristol Mediation is a local independent charity, established 30 years ago. We work to resolve conflict in neighbourhoods and communities, work with people who are experiencing hate and discrmination also lead Restorative Justice in partnership with the police across Avon & Somerset.
We are looking to recruit Volunteers to our mediation team and able to provide free endorsed mediation training to those that can make a commitment as a volunteer for two years. This valuable trainng takes place on 10th, 11th, 12th and 17th, 18th & 19th January from 9.15 for a 9.30am start until 4.30pm in Easton, Bristol. After successful completion of the training we will provide induction and ongoing support, supervision and mentoring as you develop with us as a confident volunteer mediator working across Bristol to help resolve conflict.
We are also particularly interested in hearing from people from BAME backgrounds including Eastern European, Persian or Middle Eastern; or individuals from the LGBT+ community, or those that consider themselves disabled or people living in Hartcliffe, Knowle, Filwood, Withywood, Hengrove, Bishopsworth, Bedminster, Shirehampton, Sea Mills Lockleaze, Fishponds or Hillfields. Peopel who meet these will be given priority as these groups are currently under-represents however we will consider people who do not meet any of these priorities if there are spaces available on the training.
Key tasks as a volunteer mediator with us include:
· To operate at all times within BM’s Good Practice Guidelines, equal opportunities policy and ethical policy framework
· Visit people in their homes, listen to them and help them decide on the most appropriate course of action
· Work with people to help them to communicate their needs to one another and find ways forward to resolve their difficulties
· Work with people individually to help them prepare for a meeting or empower them to identify other ways the situation could be improved.
· Manage joint party mediation meetings and shuttle mediation sessions between neighbours
· Deal with administrative tasks associated with the work and inform the office of case progress
· Take note of communications from the office and respond promptly to them
· Take part in support and supervision and additional training sessions
· To act as a community champion to help promote our work within your community
For further information and a full application pack please see below. Alternatively email firstname.lastname@example.org or call Jules Cox, Director, Bristol Mediation on 0117 9415379. Please return completed application forms and equalities/diversity forms by the closing date and we will then contact you via telephone and invite you to take part in a brief telephone interview prior to the training starting on 10th January.