Vision West of England exists to reduce the impact of sight loss, supporting blind and partially sighted people to lead independent lives and to secure equal access to services. We deliver local services across Bristol, Bath and South Gloucestershire, and in Wiltshire under the banner of Wiltshire Sight.
We are looking for an enthusiastic and dedicated Sight Advisor, with a specific focus on Resources and Technology, to provide information, advice and guidance to blind and partially sighted people to support their ability to lead independent lives. Support will be delivered through 1-1s, running group sessions, delivering outreach sessions in the community, and over the phone. This role will have a specific focus on supporting people to engage with technology and resources which can support daily living with sight loss.
• Provide support to individuals living with or at risk of sight loss and their families at the VWE resource centre as well as in the community, to enable and support independent living.
• Introduce individuals to assistive technology and support them to get online, enabling them for example to keep in contact with family/friends, access volunteering and employment opportunities, etc.
• Plan, set up and run regular technology outreach / drop-in sessions across the Bristol, South Gloucestershire and Bath area in local communities.
• Provide signposting information to clients where appropriate to ensure they are fully supported by other agencies in line with their individual needs and requirements.
• Work with professionals and suppliers to promote the benefits of assistive technology for people living with sight loss.
• Keep detailed records in line with VWE’s monitoring procedures, to support evaluation of our outcomes: emotional well-being, social inclusion, economic security and independent living.
• Manage the resources and demonstration area in the Bristol office.
• Work effectively with volunteers to assist them in supporting people with sight loss.
• Ensure events are well promoted through appropriate channels and distribution of information.
• Provide helpline assistance and email support
• Positive, flexible, people person with good interpersonal skills and an ability to work using your own initiative.
• Excellent standard of writing and verbal communication.
• Good computer literacy.
• Experience or understanding of working with volunteers in a charity setting.
• Understanding of safeguarding good practice.
• Good understanding of data protection and confidentiality within the workplace.
• Ability to travel throughout the West of England
• Ability to work outside of core hours if and when necessary (TOIL will be given).
• Personal commitment to improving your own knowledge and skills.
• Experience of working with vulnerable adults, ideally having experience of people with sensory loss in a health, social care or education setting.
• Experience of providing information, advice and guidance.
• Knowledge of computer skills and products appropriate for people living with sight loss.
Vision West of England is committed to quality, equality and valuing diversity, and welcome applications from all backgrounds. As a sight loss charity, we particularly encourage applicants who are visually impaired to apply.
• This post is subject to a DBS check.
• Full training and ongoing professional development will be offered to the right candidate.
If you would like to know more about the role before you apply, informal confidential discussions prior to application are welcome; please call 0117 322 4885 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange an appointment.
To apply for this post please send a CV and a covering letter outlining your suitability for the post to email@example.com. Please title your email ‘Application for Sight Advisor Bristol’.