As part of Bristol Mental Health Employment Service (BMHES), Windmill Hill City Farm is running an 8 week Gardening Work Placement for individuals who have experienced a mental health challenge and are aiming to get into work. The placement covers a range of garden and maintenance activities. On the placement, you will maintain and develop garden areas so they can be used for gardening and food growing activities. Through participation in the placement you will learn a range of gardening and site maintenance skills in a working environment.
The placement runs every Tuesday from 16th April to 4th June 2019.
Main activities/ tasks
Harvesting and Production:
• Propagation – Seed sowing, greenhouse work, watering
• Garden Maintenance – Planting, weeding, design
• Harvesting - Pick, weigh, record, and deliver garden produce to the café.
• Organise and clean pots, tools and resources.
• Fix equipment including wheelbarrow wheels.
Garden maintenance and infrastructure development:
• Garden development - developing areas of the garden to be used by groups e.g. children’s garden, wildlife area.
• Ground maintenance – Mowing, strimming, edging
• Site maintenance – Pathing, fencing, fixing
Support and training
• Initial induction and goal setting
• Regular supervision, support and training where appropriate to develop your own skills base in the areas you would like to focus on.
• Employment Support Drop-Ins with the opportunity to discuss next steps to employment.
The role will provide you with the opportunity to learn a range of skills related to gardening and maintenance, give something back to the community, and develop the valuable work of the Farm.
We are looking for someone who has:
• Interest in developing a career in gardening or site maintenance.
• Some previous experience of gardening and basic horticulture skills and knowledge desirable but not essential.
• Ability to work independently to complete tasks.
• Ability to be part of a team and work with others to complete tasks.
• Able to take own initiative.
This is an ideal role for someone who would like to increase their horticultural and gardening experience and likes working outdoors in all weather.
This is an upaid role. Travel expenses for this role are covered.
The deadline for application is Friday 5th April.
To apply please fill in a return the application form below to firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information please call 0117 947 1194