Overall purpose of the role:
Secretaries provide an essential service to local groups offering support to people living with diabetes. They provide administrative and secretarial support to the group including arranging meetings and to ensure effective communication between Diabetes UK and the group and can act as the main point of contact for members of the public interested in joining the group.
This is a list of duties which may be involved in the role of the secretary. Each group is different and there may be some tasks listed which are fulfilled by other members of the committee.
• Deal with group correspondence.
• Act as a cheque signatory for the group.
• Be involved in maintaining Health and Safety requirements for the group including risk assessments
• Maintain a mailing list of local contacts.
• Respond to queries from members of the public wishing to join the group.
• Provide support for committee meetings and Annual General Meetings including preparing the agenda with the chair and taking minutes.
• Identify and book venues for meetings, book speakers and produce the annual programme.
• Keeping the group website up to date.
• Working with the committee and members to publicise the group locally.
• Creating flyers to publicise the group.
• Produce and distribute the newsletter via email and post where appropriate.
What we are looking for:
• Good organisational and administrative skills (i.e. producing minutes, maintaining records and organising meetings).
• Ability to work as part of a team and able to delegate tasks to others.
• Good communication and listening skills.
• I.T skills to produce the newsletter and to manage group activities online.
What Diabetes UK can offer you:
• The opportunity to be part of reaching and supporting more people living with diabetes
• Induction and training
• Regular communication with Diabetes UK point of contact
• Opportunity to meet and network with other volunteers
• The opportunity to learn new skills
• Experience of working in the charity sector
• Reimbursement of out of office expenses incurred while carrying out activities for Diabetes UK, e.g. travel, lunch.
For more information about the role and to apply, contact the south west volunteering team on 01823 448260 or email: email@example.com