Purpose of the role:
To support our Visitor Experience team in welcoming, engaging and inspiring
visitors during the busy Easter Holiday period. We have an exciting programme of
events and activities planned at the SS Great Britain this Easter and are looking for
volunteers to help us bring the dockyard to life.
The role will be varied and will provide you with a range of experiences in engaging
visitors. The main activities include:
• Engaging and inspiring visitors on board the ship and around the dockyard, by
sharing the stories of the SS Great Britain and her passengers.
• Engaging the public with a range of fun, interactive activities on the dockyard
such as knot tying, coal shovelling and panel riveting.
• Organising the family satchels and handing them out to family visitors.
• Welcoming people to the visitor centre: directing people, checking tickets, and
helping people get the most from their visit.
• Encouraging visitors to dress up in Victorian costume, and have their photo
taken in Flash, Bang, Wallop.
• Engaging visitors with some of the interactives in our new Being Brunel
What the SS Great Britain can offer you:
• The opportunity to gain experience at an award-winning heritage site.
• Gain experience in the museum/tourism sector.
• The opportunity to make new friends and be part of a vibrant team.
• A training programme to equip you with the knowledge, skills
and confidence needed to get started as an Easter volunteer.
• If you enjoy your time with us, the opportunity to volunteer on a more regular
basis OR at other events in future.
No prior experience is necessary, we will provide you with all the training and
information that you need. We are looking for people who:
• Are friendly, approachable and confident in a busy environment
• Have an interest in tourism and providing an excellent visitor experience
• Are enthusiastic about engaging visitors of all ages and backgrounds
• Have an interest in history and bringing it to life for visitors
• Can volunteer for at least 5 days during the Easter Holiday period (Saturday 6th
April – Monday 22nd April 2019)
• Are willing to undertake training related to the role
As an Easter Visitor Experience Volunteer you will be supervised by our Visitor
Experience Volunteer Supervisor. Volunteers are an important part of the
organisation and play a vital role in enhancing the work of the Trust. We are
committed to providing volunteering opportunities of a high standard.
If you would like to join our crew for Easter or have any questions please get in touch
by completing an enquiry form, available at http://www.ssgreatbritain.org/supportus/volunteer
Potential volunteers will be invited to a recruitment event to discuss the role further
and to ensure that it is right for you. This will give you the chance to learn more and to
meet the staff and volunteers you would be working with.
You can contact our Volunteer Administrator by emailing
Volunteering@ssgreatbritain.org or telephoning 0117 922 5737. We would love to hear