About Julian House Trading
Julian House Trading is the Social Enterprise arm of the homeless charity Julian House, specialising in bike workshops http://www.jhbikeworkshop.org/
Julian House Bike Workshop is growing chain of professional, ethical bike shops with stores in Bath, Bristol, Exeter and Trowbridge. These social enterprises offer the public affordable, new and refurbished bike sales and servicing, alongside unique opportunities for homeless and socially excluded people to train, gain work skills, grow in confidence and progress towards employment. Around 200 marginalised people benefit from these programmes each year, and all profits from the retail element of the bike workshops is reinvested in these and other frontline projects delivered by the charity Julian House.
Julian House Bike Workshop has achieved strong year-on-year growth, with a 78% increase in trading income from £289k in 2016, to £517k in 2019. Our current business plan reflects our drive for improved profitability and renewed brand positioning as the professional ethical choice, whilst retaining our commitment to delivering strong social and environmental outcomes.
We are recruiting for an experienced professional with a background in multi-site retail to join our small board of directors for Julian House Trading, serving an initial 3-year term.
· Help to set, shape and deliver key objectives from the organisation’s strategic plans, alongside other Board members and the management team.
· uphold the values and objectives of the organisation;
· uphold the organisation’s core policies, including those for equality and diversity;
· contribute to and share responsibility for the board’s decisions;
· prepare for and attend meetings, training sessions and other events;
· attend and participate in reviews linked to individual performance or that of the whole board;
· represent the organisation as appropriate;
· declare any relevant interests;
· respect confidentially of information;
· uphold Julian House’s Code of governance and Code of Conduct.
· Multi-site retail experience;
· Purposeful and driven with evidence of great business acumen;
· Keen interest in social equity, cycling and the environment;
· Willing to promote openness and accountability, always holding the organisation’s best interests to heart;
· Able to operate at strategic level, and able to commit time consistently;
· Experience in strategy, organisational development and steering organisations through a process of growth;
· Knowledge and understanding of the social enterprise sector;
· Experience of being part of a board or committee.
Board members are required to attend quarterly evening meetings in central Bath, annual away days and to be on hand, where required, to offer guidance and support to the executive team and other board members on an ad hoc basis.
How to apply
To apply, please submit your CV and a covering letter stating why you wish to join the board of Julian House Trading, what skills and experience you will bring to the board, directly addressing the person specification, and any other relevant information. Please submit your CV and covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org . Applicants will be required to attend an interview and provide referees who will be contacted by telephone.
For a confidential discussion about the role and the organisation, please contact David McDonald on 07770 467180