Volunteer Dance Helper
Organisaton Summary: Flamingo Chicks creates an inclusive community giving disabled children and those with illnesses such as cancer the opportunity to enjoy ballet alongside friends. We are passionate about providing an inclusive, fun and rich dance experience for children, by translating a version of ballet that is accessible to all, regardless of ability. For some, they are able to learn traditional moves such as pirouettes or arabesques, explore the characters and composers. For others, the focus is a sensory experience enriched with colourful props and magical stories. We ensure that all children can experience the physical and wellbeing benefits.
Purpose of role: The role of a Dance Helper is to help the children to have fun, engage and participate in the class. You don't need to be a dancer, we welcome all volunteers that are passionate about supporting others and want to get involved.
• Providing assistance to children to enable them to explore movement and dance
• Warmly greeting children (and possibly their parents/carers)
• Establishing a good relationship with the children (and possibly their parents/carers)
• Encouraging children to participate in the dance classes
• Helping to set up and clear away the session
• Supporting the Dance Teacher
Age requirement: 18 years
• Good communication skills, including the ability to communicate with people from a variety of backgrounds
• Good teamwork and interpersonal skills
• Positive attitude
• Passion for caring for people with disabilities
• An interest in dance and story telling
Training: An on-line training course is essential for all volunteers and a certificate of completion is provided. Thereafter ongoing volunteer briefings and mailings.
Qualifications: No qualifications are required.
Disclosure and Barring Services (DBS): a satisfactory DBS check is compulsory. If you don’t already have a DBS check Flamingo Chicks will arrange for this.
Time commitment: At least one hour per week, often term time only
Please contact Bethan Guest for further details: email@example.com