Healthwatch was established under the Health and Social Care Act 2012 to understand the needs, experiences and concerns of people who use health and social care services and to speak out on their behalf.
Local Healthwatch are funded by and accountable to local authorities.
Our main statutory functions are to:
• Obtain the views of people about their needs and experience of local health and social care services. Local Healthwatch make these views known to those involved in the commissioning and scrutiny of care services.
• Make reports and make recommendations about how those services could or should be improved.
• Promote and support the involvement of people in the monitoring, commissioning and provision of local health and social care services.
• Provide information and advice to the public about accessing health and social care services and the options available to them.
• Make the views and experiences of people known to Healthwatch England, helping us to carry out their role as national champion.
• Make recommendations to Healthwatch England to advise the Care Quality Commission (CQC) to carry out special reviews or investigations into areas of concern.
Healthwatch North Somerset is a Registered Charity (No:1158487) and Limited Company (No:08187141), it has been grant funded since 2013 to deliver the statutory Healthwatch functions in North Somerset. From 1st October 2019 we were awarded a contract to deliver these functions for the wider Healthwatch Bristol, North Somerset and South Gloucestershire area.
We are particularly keen to recruit new Directors from Bristol and South Gloucestershire areas to ensure full strategic representation for the whole area.
Director duties involve:
• contributing actively to the role of the Board of Directors in giving firm strategic direction to the organisation, setting overall policy, defining goals, setting targets and evaluating performance against agreed targets
• ensuring that the charity complies with its constitution, charity law, company law and any other relevant legislation or regulations
• safeguarding the good name and values of the charity
• ensuring the effective and efficient administration of the charity
• ensuring the financial stability of the charity
• protecting and managing the property of the charity and ensuring proper investment of the charity’s funds
• appointing staff and monitoring their performance
• being an advocate for the charity at all times
In addition to their statutory duties, our Directors often get involved in other activities and responsibilities according to their specific interests, knowledge, experience and time.
What we need from you:
You will be carrying out activities around your other commitments and attending meetings at venues within the Bristol, North Somerset and South Gloucestershire area. During this time of Covid 19 all meetings are carried out virtually.
This is an excellent opportunity to play a senior role in a respected local organisation, applying your management skills and experience to make a real difference and to be part of a friendly and passionate group.
All Healthwatch Director/Trustees should have:
• a commitment to Healthwatch
• an understanding and acceptance of the legal duties, responsibilities and liabilities of trusteeship
• a willingness to devote the necessary time and effort to their duties as a trustee
• strategic vision
• good, independent judgement
• an ability to think creatively
• a willingness to speak their mind and participate fully in meetings
Ideally, we also hope that you could offer us:
• a strong interest in engaging the public to have a voice in the
quality of health and social care services
As a guide, we anticipate this voluntary role will take 2-3 hours per week, with attendance at Board meetings which are generally held monthly. These have been more frequent in recent times.
What’s in it for you?
Healthwatch volunteers are motivated to help for a range of reasons, but normally they have a strong interest in the public voice to be heard particularly including those in the minority and disadvantaged. Encouraging public feedback and helping to empower people through the sharing of relevant information.
• A great opportunity to use your existing experience and to develop new skills
• Working with others to make a difference both locally and nationally
• The potential to meet and discuss issues with a wide range of people
• Opportunities to be involved with local and national Healthwatch activities, events and workshops
Relevant induction and training will be available.
The role is voluntary although we will pay all out-of-pocket expenses with prior agreement, in line with our Volunteers Policy.
Please complete the forms in the attached Information Pack and email them to the Chair, Georgie Bigg at firstname.lastname@example.org or phone on Tel: 01934 863070 if you have any queries.
For more information about the work of Healthwatch locally and other volunteering roles available, please contact Julia Senior-Smith at email@example.com
Tel: 07517 426694/01275 854311
Closing Date: 31st July 2020