We are looking for friendly and confident volunteers to join our Telephone Befriending Service to provide emotional support and companionship to local people with a visual impairment. Feeling isolated is a common challenge for people with sight loss, and recent restrictions on personal contact compound the situation even more for those living alone. A friendly voice on the phone on a regular basis can make a huge difference to someone’s emotional wellbeing and ability to access local support and services.
What will you be doing?
- Calling a client on an agreed regular basis for a friendly and supportive chat and making sure that they have everything they need
- Listening actively to your client and getting to know them whilst sharing your own interests and experiences
- Treating what you hear as confidential and sensitive
- Keeping us up to date on how your volunteering is going at regular telephone support sessions and referring any queries and concerns back to the Volunteer Coordinator
- Reading and following our policies and procedures - designed to keep you and the people we support safe and happy
What skills and experience are needed?
- Good listening and communication skills
- Empathy / understanding towards others and an interest in what others have to say
- A non-judgmental and positive approach and the desire to motivate and encourage others
- Confidence when using the telephone
- An ability to work independently but also stay within the role’s boundaries – recognising what should and shouldn’t be done and when to seek advice or report concerns
- A good understanding of confidentiality
What will you gain from the role?
- The knowledge that you are helping to make a real difference to the lives of people living with sight loss at this challenging time
- Experience of working with a variety of people
- A greater understanding of sight loss
- Useful new skills
What support will be given?
- Induction and training (telephone/online)
- Regular support and supervision from the Volunteer Coordinator
When will you be needed?
A mutually convenient day and time will be agreed between the client and yourself.
How often will you be needed?
- We ask for a minimum contribution of 30 minutes per week
- A minimum of 3 months' commitment is required
For further information and to apply, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call Becs on 07849 833 047. Alternatively, you can complete the application form below. A role description is also attached.