Good governance for safeguarding: A guide for UK NGO boards
Bond Cross-Sector Safeguarding Working Group has released a practical guide exploring six ways that trustees of UK-based NGOs should take the lead on safeguarding.
This guide is for boards of all UK-based international NGOs, regardless of size or whether or not they are directly involved in programme delivery.
The six sections cover:
- Setting a culture that makes staff feel comfortable and supported to raise concerns
- Reducing risk and ensuring that the organisation has assessed its safeguarding risk profile
- Making sure the right policies are in place for raising issues and encouraging speaking up
- Ensuring that when issues are raised they are investigated correctly and thoroughly
- How to articulate the organisation's policies for supporting survivors
- Recommendations to ensure openness and accountability in relation to safeguarding