The position of Director of Research & Analysis is a full-time permanent post (37.5 hours per week). It is based at CSE’s offices in Bristol and although some hybrid home working is acceptable a regular (at least 3 days per week) presence in the office will be required at least initially to oversee the dayto-day operations of the team and the organisation.
In general, work will be undertaken during standard working hours 9am-5pm, although we offer reasonable levels of flexibility in working hours to accommodate demands outside work. CSE operates a system of ‘time off in lieu’ for additional work undertaken out of hours. The post-holder will report to the Chief Executive (or in his absence his designated deputy) and will initially manage three senior members of the R&A team.
The salary for the post will start on Scale N (£55,652 to £66,660) with potential to progress to scale O (up to £73,018) over time. Starting salary will be dependent on skills, relevant experience and qualifications. A suitably qualified and experienced applicant should expect to find themselves towards the middle of the range following successful completion of their 6-month probationary period. Subsequent movement is dependent on annual appraised performance against the defined job description for the post. CSE operates a generous ethical company pension scheme (8% from employer, 6% from employee) which the post-holder will be automatically enrolled to in line with current legislation. CSE also offers salary sacrifice childcare vouchers and subsidised bike purchase arrangements through the cycle to work scheme both of which are available once the probationary period is completed. All CSE staff are given study time and expected to complete the NEA City & Guilds 6176 in Energy Awareness as a part of their induction process.
• To direct and take overall responsibility for the development and delivery of CSE’s research and analysis work to support better policy and more effective action to cut carbon emissions and reduce fuel poverty, primarily in the UK.
• To lead the Research & Analysis (R&A) team, maintaining a culture of high performance and outstanding results in which staff are encouraged and supported to perform at their best.
• To develop and maintain relationships locally, nationally and internationally to support and influence the policy frameworks within which our work takes place, and to create and realise funding opportunities to sustain and grow our work and impact, in line with CSE’s strategic objectives.
• To be a member of CSE’s Senior Leadership Team (SLT), which oversees the organisation’s operational management, sets and implements its policies, determines priorities, establishes budgets and maintains financial controls, and develops and delivers CSE’s strategy - with support of Heads of Unit and Trustees.
• To direct all aspects of delivery in the R&A portfolio, including project planning, budgeting, resource utilisation and workload planning, project monitoring and evaluation, and ensuring the R&A team is adequately resourced across the Research, Consultancy and Software and Modelling units.
• To take overall responsibility for the quality of outputs of the R&A team and its timely reporting to project partners and funders.
• To ensure effective structures exist for line management and professional development of all members of the R&A team (specifically line managing those staff detailed in ‘Working Relationships and Contacts’ below).
• To lead the development of new R&A work, setting the priorities for R&A proactive business development activity and providing a clear view on how CSE should respond to reactive funding opportunities.
• To represent CSE to existing and potential funders, partners and other stakeholders as appropriate, establishing and maintaining effective and fruitful relationships and enhancing CSE’s influence and reputation.
• To identify and create new opportunities for CSE to deliver its strategic objectives in relation to R&A and to develop viable, deliverable projects to realise these opportunities, working closely with the CSE Development Team, other Directors, the Chief Executive and other members of staff.
• To direct the delivery of specific projects as relevant and to enable the provision of R&A expertise to other projects and processes across CSE as appropriate.
• To support the Head of Software and Modelling in the ongoing provision and support of existing/new internal-facing software services
• To share with other members of the SLT and Heads of Team collective responsibility for the day-to-day management of the organisation, representing the R&A team to SLT whilst taking and communicating a broader organisational perspective. • To contribute to the promotion, communication and marketing of the R&A team’s projects, outputs, skills and services more generally.
• To liaise with CSE Trustees, report to them on the R&A team’s work and attend quarterly Trustees’ meetings.
Applications should be made on the application form, available at www.cse.org.uk/vacancies. Your application should demonstrate how your skills and experience relate to the person specification (above). CVs and supporting letters will not be considered as part of the application process. The front sheet of the application form containing personal information will be removed prior to the details of the form being read by the selection panel. The closing date for applications is midday on Wednesday 22 February 2023. If you have not heard from CSE by Monday 27 February 2023 please assume that your application has been unsuccessful. Applicant information Director of Research and Analysis Centre for Sustainable Energy Page 4 Interviews will be scheduled for Thursday 2 March and Friday 3 March at our office in Bristol. The interview process will consist of a formal interview, a short independent exercise, and the opportunity to meet with Directors and Trustee representatives more informally. This will take a maximum of half a day. Applications should be sent by post to Reception, Centre for Sustainable Energy, St James Court, St James Parade, Bristol BS1 3LH or by email to email@example.com.