A new report on how the public engages with charities online has shown that 44% of people have donated digitally, and that older people’s online donations make a significant contribution.
The report, based on a survey of over 2,000 people by Reason Digital and Populus, found that:
- Over-65s are two times more likely to have set up a direct debit to a charity than those aged 18-24.
- The average age of people who have donated to a charity online is 49.
- More than 1 in 5 people have donated via a charity’s website.
- People who have interacted with a charity on Facebook or Twitter are 29% more likely to have donated online, and 19% more likely to have donated offline.
The insights on older people are particularly useful. As the report states, ‘Older people are online, active, and are giving in greater numbers than Gen Zers or Millennials. Facebook is particularly effective when it comes to reaching this age group’.
Meanwhile, younger people were most likely to hold a fundraising event or get involved in one-off volunteering. Those aged 18-24 were also four times more likely to feel passionate about a mental health cause than older people.
Based on the report’s findings, here are some key things to consider with your online presence:
- Does your website have a donate button (a clickable logo which takes users to different payment options)? For example, you can add and customise donation buttons using Paypal. There are some best practice tips for non-profit donation buttons here.
- Whilst most people think of the Voscur website for long-term volunteering commitments, there are many local organisations posting one-off or short-term volunteering positions, such as marshalling at a charity walk, cheering on the sidelines of a marathon, or helping at a community festival. It’s free to list volunteering opportunities, so don’t miss out.
- You can also get people to donate directly via Facebook (if you set up the Facebook Payments system and categorise yourself as a non-profit organisation), or set up donations by text using JustGiving and a charity SMS code.
- Are you carrying social media fans through to other channels? Drive them to particular webpages, events listings and donor appeals. Make it as easy as possible for them to take action.
If you need further help with your digital strategy, why not consider bespoke training from Voscur? We also run training courses on social media and marketing. Get in touch today.